Image of social media
Many Wonderful Artists. (n.d.) Social-media-1453843_1920 [a photographic image of social media]. Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/search/?media=photos&license=7%2C9%2C10&text=social%20media&advanced=1
The experience of using Flickr, a photo-sharing site
It was difficult to access Flickr on my browser. It wasn't suitable on Explorer so I had to switch back to Chrome. I wasn't comfortable with allowing it to create cookies for third parties, but there appears to be no other way to use Flickr. Then, finally I searched for the image I wanted. I was able to search for photographs of social media in Flickr using 'social media' as the keyword to search. On the menu settings and drop down, firstly I selected Creative Commons, and then No known copyright restrictions to find images to choose from. Then I took a snip of the image and copied and saved it as a JPEG file, and then used the picture icon on the blog to upload it to my blog. I would give the experience a thumbs down for ease of use, but there is a significant variety of images available under Creative Commons or No known copyright restriction.
How a library could make use of a photo-sharing site
One way a library could make use of a photo-sharing site is in assisting with a library's community or local history projects.
For example, Lake Macquarie public libraries are looking for pictures/photographs of local schools for the local history collection. Lake Macquarie public libraries could use Flickr for the public to post and share these images/photos on. This will help it build this local history collection of public school in the area. Lake Macquarie public libraries hold digital collections of images of local history, so enabling the public to view, and add to these and provide comment comment/information about them will add to the local history collection. These images are also available for the public to use. They can help researchers and students, or just the public who are interested in particular topics/local history images.
Similarly, The University of Newcastle also uses the photo-sharing site Flicker to make it's photographic cultural collection available to users and the general public. (This was demonstrated to us in class by our teacher, Narelle.)
Another way a library could use a photo-sharing site is in seeking & sharing contributions for special events. A public library could use a photo-sharing site for its community to contribute images, say for children's book week, or another theme. Library customers could provide images of things or scenes that depict to them a certain book or theme for a book for children's book week. These could be shared with the contributors' permission to promote book week or the event in question.
These are just a couple of examples of ways libraries could use a photo-sharing site.

No comments:
Post a Comment